Google
 

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why do I really even care that I'm debt?!

UPDATE: I found a related link! Thanks to The DC Centurion's Shield - I found it on The Drudge Report.

Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers


Aug. 16 (Bloomberg) -- A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to an Army base in Texas, U.S. officials said.


Okay -- so even worse! How in the world can it cost $1 million to ship washers from South Carolina to Texas??? My first image was like these huge pieces of heavy metal, then I realized, "no way, they wouldn't have cost 19-cents then!" I don't get it, I just don't get it . . . .

Sometimes I think that I should have worked for the government. Oh wait, I really don't like spending other people's money - just my own. I didn't want to get into politics on my blog, I try to stay as much out of politics as possible in fact. But this one really got me going.

The Nightly News mentioned an update on government waste. I rarely watch the Nightly News, it was just on while I was cooking dinner, and I couldn't help but overhear. For my readers, please correct me if I am wrong on this, I haven't been able to find a link anywhere. Brian Williams reported that we spent over one million dollars to "express ship" two 19 cent washers to Iraq??? Like I said, I missed the exact details - except how much shipping was and how much the items were. I mean seriously? Who makes these decisions? Can you really not feel guilty if you are the one authorizing to spend a million dollars to ship something? I just don't get it. So I'm just going to shut up about it, because I don't want to get in to whether I am for or against the war. My debt, as well as most other's out there, pale in comparison to what our soldiers and their families are going through.

No comments: